Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Python scripting

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Python scripting
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:55:54 -0700

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 01:33:53PM -0400, graydon hoare wrote:
> (I should point out, once more, that I'm not really in the mood to turn
>  monotone into a "general scriptable platform for VC", such as if it
>  were a "pure subordinate python module". I know this is an option, but
>  it's an option I'm currently uninterested in pursuing. I believe this
>  sounds better on paper than it would actually be in reality: that in
>  fact most users want a VC system which works simply and predictably,
>  out-of-the-box, and only a much smaller fraction wish to program it)

I don't want a "general scriptable platform for VC", I want a "clean
programmatic interface to Monotone's carefully written and presumably
robust VC logic", that I can use to do things like walk the revision
tree and gather statistics, implement things like the auto-bless and
auto-test bots that have been discussed on IRC, that sort of thing.
Ideally without lots of version-skew prone output parsing.

Not that I really feel like restarting the discussion about the best
way to do this right now, but just to be clear on what I was
suggesting :-).

"Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain,
Our thoughts are link'd by many a hidden chain:
Awake but one, and lo! what myriads rise!
Each stamps its image as the other flies"
  -- Ann Ward Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho