[Monotone-devel] Re: changesets version fails to merge identical trees

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: changesets version fails to merge identical trees
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:31:58 -0400

Patrick Maheral wrote:

  monotone: fatal: std::exception: boost:: too_man_args: format-string referred
to less arguments than were passed

Sorry for the lack of additional output and debugging.  If I get a
chance tomorrow, I'll dig deeper.

ah, that's not at all related to merging, it's just a misuse of a formatter: I wrote a format string (probably directed to the internal logger) and didn't pass enough arguments to it.

unfortunately boost doesn't give us enough information in the format exception to know which string has the error. the easiest way you can help narrow this down is within gdb:

 $ gdb --args monotone merge
 (gdb) break main
  Breakpoint 1 at 0x82f46a9
 (gdb) run
 Starting program: monotone
 Breakpoint 1, 0x082f46a9 in main ()
 (gdb) catch throw
 Catchpoint 1 (throw)
 (gdb) continue
 Continuing.
 Catchpoint 2 (exception thrown)
 0x0022c146 in __cxa_throw () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
 (gdb) back
 #0  0x0022c146 in __cxa_throw () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
 #1  ...
 #2  ...

if you can capture the backtrace there, it will tell me exactly which formatter is failing. sorry, it's just a typo on my end, it has no deep semantic meaning.

-graydon