Re: [Monotone-devel] Ideas and questions.

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Ideas and questions.
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:49:20 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:54:28 +0100, Henrik Holmboe
<address@hidden> said:

henrik> While the topic is up for discussion. I need to throw in a
henrik> vote for taking bug #8923 into consideration. It relates to
henrik> the all uppercase MT directory. Is it only me who think this
henrik> is a problem? (I reported the bug).

Hmm, that report isn't entirely correct.  The trouble is about short
names and really applies to Windows 9x/ME, where those are upper case
by default or something like that.  On NT, they are at least easier to
have in lower or mixed case, which is why the '-o shortname=winnt'
fixes the problem.

Either way, I would *not* suggest a dotted directory (.mt), if we want
to allow easy porting to other operating systems (I'm dreaming of
taking on a OpenVMS port some day) which do not use this convention,
and which might even have trouble with that kind of file name.
Instead, I'd like to suggest the same solution as was used for emacs
on Windows, to use an underscore instead of a period, so we'd end up
with a name like '_mt'.

Cheers,
Richard

-----