[Monotone-devel] monotone 0.19 - how long should a fresh pull take?

From: Joe Wilson
Subject: [Monotone-devel] monotone 0.19 - how long should a fresh pull take?
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 08:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I've downloaded and built monotone 0.19 as per the instructions in
http://www.venge.net/monotone/INSTALL. To my surprise, a fresh pull
of the monotone sources took 223 minutes (around 3.6 hours) on an
otherwise unloaded machine:

 $ time monotone --db=mt.db --key="" pull off.net net.venge.monotone
 real    223m5.784s
 user    219m30.140s
 sys     0m9.827s

This resulted in a monotone database file (mt.db) of 45,115,392 bytes.

Is this speed typical?

monotone:  http://www.venge.net/monotone/downloads/monotone-0.19.tar.gz
platform:  WinNT 4.0, Cygwin (fairly recent install)
CPU:       2 GHz Pentium4, unknown CPU cache size
compiler:  gcc version 3.3.3 (cygwin special)
configure: default options only
boost:     boost_1_31_0

I see that you were able to do a fresh pull in 15 minutes
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/monotone-devel/2005-05/msg00044.html):

 - time to do a fresh pull of collection net.venge.monotone with 0.19
   (despite the collection being >25% larger than when 0.18 was
   released): 15m30s

So it seems that I am doing something wrong.
May I ask what platform/CPU/compiler/boost version/compiler flags
you used to accomplish this?

The speed of local operations after the initial pull seemed to be
pretty snappy and comparable with the results you mentioned on the
web page above.

Is there a flag to have monotone show a percentage complete progress
indicator for the pull operation?  I was just about to kill the 3.6 hour
process thinking it had died. It does not have to be 100% accurate - just
a rough indication of how much work is left to be done.

Thanks for such a great project.