[Monotone-devel] Re: How new-style codeville merge works

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: How new-style codeville merge works
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 23:56:03 +0100

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> FYI:
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.revctrl/2

Oh.  If I understand correctly, then it sounds like the basic storage
that everone's using is suboptimal, and really SCMs should store a big
database of lines, and files get stored as lists of pointers into that
database?  (As Stellation did, although Stellation appears to have
died.  I think they took that idea from a proprietary system, but I
don't remember which one.)

Or, if not that, then you'd want to store changes to text files in
some line-based form, I guess?  Otherwise surely you're recomputing
diff-like information lots of the time (something cheaper than actual
diffs, but I feel sure one could store something more useful than
xdelta; indeed, didn't SCCS use something which would have been useful
for this)?