Re: [Monotone-devel] zsh auto-completion

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] zsh auto-completion
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 21:38:25 -0700

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 10:49:48PM -0400, Joel Reed wrote:
> The attached file provides completion functionality for monotone
> under zsh. I'd like to add to the tree as contrib/monotone.zsh_completion
> unless someone objects.

Woot!

> The attached code completes commands, options, branches, keys,
> ids, etc. Its based on zsh's _cvs completion module. It works
> well enough for me that I can't live with out it now, but this
> is the first time I've ever done one of these modules, so ymmv.
>
> With formatting specifications for monotone automate I could
> improve the completion code a good bit around files presented
> for drop,revert,rename,etc.

Emile has the ball on this.

> Also if monotone complete had a quiet flag that printed nothing
> at all if bad input was given like [h-z] chars, it would simplify
> the zsh code a bit.

Not sure what you mean.  Is there something wrong with 2>/dev/null in
particular? :-)

> An automate interface for getting file attribute keys would also help.

Sounds useful; would you be interested in coming up with a
proposal/implementation for this?

> And an automate interface for getting the list of file patterns
> to ignore, though ignore_files would need altering if we did that I'd
> think.

How would you use this?

> Drop _monotone in /usr/share/zsh/4.2.5/functions/Completion/Unix/_monotone,
> for example, and send me your feedback/improvements!

How do I use it if I don't want to put it in /usr?  I guess I can put
it anywhere that zsh will look for functions?

"But in Middle-earth, the distinct accusative case disappeared from
the speech of the Noldor (such things happen when you are busy
fighting Orcs, Balrogs, and Dragons)."