[Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 13:35:58 +0200

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 02:36:38AM +0200, Bruno Hertz wrote:
>> Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Hmm:
>> >
>> > ~/src/monotone/src$ monotone ls unknown | wc -l
>> > 101
>> > ~/src/monotone/src$ monotone ls unknown tests | wc -l
>> > 4
>> >
>> > :-)
>>
>> Ah. I tried
>>
>>   monotone ls unknown tests .
>>
>> in the working copy root dir and it still walked the entire tree.
>> 18.1  speaking.
>
> Hmm, what did you expect that to do?

Recalling our discussion, I originally pointed out revision control
could be useful in various situations, like for home dir config
files. Monotone doesn't support this well though, even if it
technically could, because of unneccesary UI limitations which assume
certain use cases. As an example, I said list anything is of no use in
such cases.

You answered, list unknown would be of no use in such situations
anyway. Which, I responded, I doubt, because if the list commands
could be constrained to a directory they could still be useful. In our
context, what I possibly could have had in mind is of course limiting
the command e.g. to the home dir, i.e. not recurse. I thought this was
obvious.

To you it apparantly wasn't, as your example of 'limiting' a list
command to a directory while still including all subdirs was of no
relevance at all to our discussion. Had it been, it'd have had
invalidated your own statement about the uselessness of list unknown.
Still, you got me confused because I didn't expect you to jump out of
context that way, and thought I had missed something. As it turned out
I hadn't.

So finally answering your question, while feeling that I'm becoming
quite repetitive at the same time, when I talk about limiting list
anything to a directory in such a use case I of course mean a
directory without the subdirectories.

Regards, Bruno.