Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:24:16 -0700

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 12:04:57AM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:39:31 -0700, Nuno Lucas <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> >I understand your point. On the other hand there is no way to be fully
> >sure they will always be the same, as "*" is a shell thing and it's up
> >to the shell to return us the same as . would do (for example, I could
> >have a shell that has an option somewhere to never include a
> >*.my_extension file in the * expansion).
>
> Most shells already distinguish these.  "*" in the shell doesn't include
> filenames that start with a '.'.

Yes, but just because there's a subtle technical difference doesn't
mean that people don't expect them to work the same, and won't
make mistakes, experience confusion, etc. if they don't...

Also, the difference here is in the other direction -- "*" would
potentially include lots of things that _aren't_ included by ".".
Which really is a bit surprising, no?

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco