[Monotone-devel] movable monotone tags

From: Stanislav Karchebny
Subject: [Monotone-devel] movable monotone tags
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:39:15 +0300

In recent talk with msh on irc i proposed some solution to movable tags:

1) Use case: we have a development model where tree is tagged prior to
building so that buildscript can fetch the appropriate sources given only
software version number (e.g. build 1.2.3 makes buildscript fetch tag ver-123
and so on). Sometimes builds fail and we fix the source and re-tag a new
version with the same tag (since its going to be the same version anyway).

2) Proposal: version tags similar to how we version the files themselves.
So a tag on revision X can be moved to revision Y specifying that its ancestor
revision was X. Then different tag moves in different trees can be tracked
and resolved using pretty much the same merge conflicts resolution.

Any ideas?

--
Best regards,
Stanislav Karchebny