Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Feature request: monotone grep

From: Shaun Jackman
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Feature request: monotone grep
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:38:10 -0700

2005/11/8, Bruce Stephens <address@hidden>:
> The FROM and TO seem underspecified.  I guess you mean ancestors of TO
> which aren't ancestors of FROM (and FROM has to be an ancestor of TO,
> I guess)?

Exactly.

> I'd worry that people would want to use other flags of grep, and then
> where do you stop?

I think the same argument can be made of `montone diff', but it's such
a useful task that some basic form of the command within monotone
would be a benefit. Most of the time I call GNU grep simply as `grep',
so I wouldn't worry terribly about the extra options.

> On Unix, I'd imagine this kind of functionality being provided by
> scripting (I think all the base features are there to provide it).

Perhaps there should be a standard way for monotone to call out to
helper scripts, where `monotone grep', for example calls out to the
script `monotone-grep' -- in /usr/share/monotone/bin or the path if
that fails -- with all the necessary information provided on the
command line and in the environment.

Cheers,
Shaun