[Monotone-devel] Re: Why is utf8 type _NOVERIFY, and other vocab stuff.

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Why is utf8 type _NOVERIFY, and other vocab stuff.
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:54:45 +0100

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> (Also,
> there were reports that the _best_effort code didn't actually work
> with lots of broken iconv's found in the wild...)

On Derek's super-laptop "UTF8 to ASCII//IGNORE//TRANSLIT" actually
failed just like it was plain "UTF8 to ASCII". AFAIR it was a Gentoo.

I'm willing to debug it further, if someone gives me access to a system
in which I can verify the failure... or, even easier, I could create a
smallish program that only has a fixes UTF8 string inside itself and ask
on the command line for a charset and simply call the iconv function
with those 2 parameters...

OK, I'll try to do that on my way home, on the bus.