Re: [Monotone-devel] Question on layering

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Question on layering
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:48:44 -0800

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 02:57:54PM -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> *shrug* It might be time to start investigating extending monotone to
> present an HTTP interface as well (i.e. mtn serve --protocol http).
> Using RESTful programming techniques, it might be possible to
> represent the features of the netsync protocol into a more verbose
> HTTP context.  Could be something to put on a wishlist somewhere.

We've discussed this a bit, actually; there's a pretty sensible design
in the .dumb branch, that as far as I know works pretty well.  (It
uses a helper app to drive the actual transfers, etc.)

This doesn't help Joel much, because we don't happen to _publish_ a
dumb mirror of nvm*.  We could start, potentially.

It could use some more integration with mtn proper, and who knows,
potentially replace netsync at some point.  It's not there yet,
though, that's more of a possible long-term goal.

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen