Re: [Monotone-devel] More descriptive help summary

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] More descriptive help summary
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 13:39:02 +0200

Hi,

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
I disagree with that idea fdor aesthetic reasons.  That, or mtn should
be split in small programs, such as mtn-db-init.  I'm sure we don't
want that.

Full ACK.

Yeah, you might think that, but on the positive side, it gives a
structure, such as all "db" commands being strictly about the
database.

Yes, especially for users who are already somewhat used to monotone, this quick command overview is really helpful - you don't need to read a whole manual, but have the important information right on your screen.

jmmv84> An alternative could be to show no commands at all on the
jmmv84> default help, but only the categories with a little blurb of
jmmv84> what they are about.  Such as:
jmmv84> jmmv84> [...options summary here...] jmmv84> jmmv84> Command categories: jmmv84> jmmv84> automation Commands for scripted execution
jmmv84>      db          Commands to manage the database
jmmv84>      ...
jmmv84> jmmv84> Type "mtn help <category>" to show information on all commands
jmmv84> available in that category.

Yeah, we are not very consequent about what we consider a category. Some cleaning up there would be helpful, together with appropriate help screens for each category.

Regards

Markus