[Monotone-devel] Re: [monotone wiki] Update of "SelfHostingInfo" by 64.1

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [monotone wiki] Update of "SelfHostingInfo" by 64.140.246.145
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 23:23:14 -0700

Can we please make this page only editable by registered users? This
is getting very very silly.

On 5/12/07, monotone wiki <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "monotone wiki" for
change notification.

The following page has been changed by 64.140.246.145:
http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/SelfHostingInfo

The comment on the change is:

- = Self Hosting =
+ ----
+ CategoryCategory

- Monotone development is self-hosting. This means that once you have a copy of
monotone, you can use it to track the development of monotone from your own
machine, rather than using CVS.
-
- == Using my netsync server ==
-
- I have set up a netsync server (a copy of monotone serving the netsync
protocol) which I will store my own versions of monotone in, including releases
and merges from other people and whatnot. This can be read by anyone, but only
I (and, well, perhaps a couple other people if they ask nicely) can add things
to it, since it's mine. If you want to develop monotone yourself, you should
try to make your own server for hosting your own changes (see later on).
Setting yourself up to read from my server is pretty simple. Just follow these
three steps:
-
-  1. Get or build a copy of the most recent monotone release.
-  1. Initialize a database, which is just a regular file you'll store versions
and certificates into.
- {{{$ mtn --db=mtn.db db init
- }}}
-  1. Run this command, you should get something similar to these results:
- {{{$ mtn --db=mtn.db pull venge.net "net.venge.monotone*"
- mtn: setting default server to venge.net
- mtn: setting default branch include pattern to 'net.venge.monotone'
- mtn: setting default branch exclude pattern to ''
- mtn: doing anonymous pull; use -kKEYNAME if you need authentication
- mtn: connecting to venge.net
- mtn: first time connecting to server venge.net
- mtn: I'll assume it's really them, but you might want to double-check
- mtn: their key's fingerprint: 70a0f283898a18815a83df37c902e5f1492e9aa2
- mtn: warning: saving public key for address@hidden to database
- mtn: finding items to synchronize:
- mtn: bytes in | bytes out | certs in | revs in
- mtn: 8.2 k | 632 | 0 | 0
- mtn: bytes in | bytes out | certs in | revs in
- mtn: 39.8 M | 680 | 18077/18077 | 4805/4805
- mtn: successful exchange with venge.net}}}
-
-  Note the key fingerprint in that output; you may wish to verify that it
really is {{{70a0f283898a18815a83df37c902e5f1492e9aa2}}}.
-
-  This is your initial pull so it will take a bit of time, as it has to
transfer a few megabytes of history to you. Subsequent pulls will be much
faster. When you're done pulling you can take a look at the heads of the branch
you picked up. You should get something like this (though with a different head
version, different author, etc.):
- {{{$ mtn --db=mtn.db --branch=net.venge.monotone heads
- mtn: branch 'net.venge.monotone' is currently merged:
- d947ac9f47d3c3e61af60822cbf0491ae69b2bef address@hidden 2006-08-14
T12:29:35}}}
-
-  You can now look at the certs on a particular version; we will use the
version tagged as monotone-0.28:
- {{{$ mtn --db=mtn.db ls certs t:monotone-0.28
- mtn: expanding selection 't:monotone-0.28'
- mtn: expanded to '8c6ce7cb2ccd21290b435e042c2be4554ec6a048'
-
-
- Key : address@hidden
- Sig : ok
- Name : author
- Value : address@hidden
-
-
- Key : address@hidden
- Sig : ok
- Name : branch
- Value : net.venge.monotone
-
-
- Key : address@hidden
- Sig : ok
- Name : changelog
- Value : 2006-07-22 Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden>
-       :
-       : * NEWS: Set date, and it turns out AUTOMATE() was there in
-       : 0.27...
-
-
- Key : address@hidden
- Sig : ok
- Name : date
- Value : 2006-07-22T08:43:33
-
-
- Key : address@hidden
- Sig : ok
- Name : tag
- Value : monotone-0.28}}}
-
-  And you can also check out that version:
- {{{$ mtn --db=mtn.db checkout -r t:monotone-0.28 monotone
- mtn: expanding selection 't:monotone-0.28'
- mtn: expanded to '8c6ce7cb2ccd21290b435e042c2be4554ec6a048'}}}
-
-  1. That's it, you're done! You will now find yourself with a checked out
working copy in the directory monotone, which you can edit, merge, commit, etc.
In the future, you can pull new versions from my server and update your working
copy from your database using this pair of commands:
- {{{$ cd monotone ...
- $ mtn pull ...
- $ mtn update ...}}}
-
- == Making your own server ==
-
- Setting up your own server is covered in the "Network Service" section of the
documentation. Once you have your own server running, if you want me to fetch changes
directly from it (and merge them with my monotone versions) you should send an email with
your server's host name, collection name, and public key, to the mailing list.
-
- If you have difficulty setting up a server, or are feeling lazy and would
like us to host one for you, send an email to the list. For projects of a
reasonable size, or if you just want to play around, we'd be happy to host an
extra server for you.
-

--
Justin Patrin