Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How to find out author of a code fragment?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How to find out author of a code fragment?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 18:12:30 -0700

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 11:39:11AM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:
> > Oh, I know: how about an 'annotate diff' combination command, that
> > shows a unidiff, but also marks each + and - line with the person
> > responsible for that change?
> >
> > Doesn't help if you are looking at a file and wondering generally
> > how it came to look the way it does, very very cool if you know that
> > something has appeared or disappeared (and thus have some reference
> > point), and want to know what happened.
>
> Clever.  And (in retrospect, anyway) an obvious idea.  I wonder why
> it's not been done before (that I know about, anyway).

Because there has been historically like zero investment into data
visualization for VCS...

> I'd guess you wouldn't always want the person.  I suspect there's some
> better default one could come up with (person/date, truncated hash, or
> something).  But that's just a detail.

Yeah, presumably it's like annotate, you want an "automate" version
that just gives you the revid, plus some user-friendly version that
pretty-prints something about that revision.

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen