Re: [Monotone-devel] Too many levels of symbolic links

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Too many levels of symbolic links
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:07:15 -0700

On 5/23/07, Ben Walton <address@hidden> wrote:
Does your particular linux distro not rely on a working /etc/rc.d
structure to boot?  I know there is a move away from the traditional
init systems (upstart, etc) but most of them still rely on legacy
files in some way...

That looks to me like a backward compatibility symlink for scripts
assuming the mildly deranged old Red Hat /etc layout, which had
/etc/rc.d/rc[0123456S].d and /etc/rc.d/init.d instead of the normal
/etc/rc[0123456S].d and /etc/init.d.

Symlinks like that are not so unusual.  My impression is that monotone
does not recognize symlinks as anything special - if we fixed that,
the problem would go away.

zw