[Monotone-devel] cvs and monotone

From: Kelly F. Hickel
Subject: [Monotone-devel] cvs and monotone
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:24:37 -0500

Was about to do another rtest import of our cvs repo to play around with
the new mtn.  Ran into the fact that the cvs_import command has a new
required argument (or at least one I don't remember using) named
-branch.  What's that for??

While googling for the answer to that, I ran into this page
http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/MonotoneAndCVS which contains the
following terribly disturbing nugget:

There is an important limitation, though. This method doesn't presently
try to attach branches to their parents, either on the mainline or on
other branches, instead each CVS branch gets its own separate linear
history in the resulting monotone db.

That's pretty amazingly disturbing, especially since I don't believe I'd
ever seen that statement before....

Assuming that's actually true, it seems to be a pretty big problem.
We'd discussed just skimming the currently active branches from cvs into
monotone, but even that is problematical if it's not going back to the
most recent common ancestor of the branches.

I also ran across this: http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/CvsImport which at
least gives me hope.

Is reality really as dark as it seems at the moment????

Thanks,

--
Kelly F. Hickel
Senior Software Architect