Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: New commands (for mtn, in lua)

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: New commands (for mtn, in lua)
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:37:37 +0200

Hi,

William Uther wrote:
Again, please keep separate things separate. (And instead write simple scripts for things like "sync here, pull there, propagate a little and then update some of my workspaces".)

I'm happy with that. But I'd like the scripts to be cross platform. If I'm supporting a bunch of users, I don't want to have to write scripts for every platform.

Which brings us back to the lua commands :)

I don't mind much, what language such scripts are written in, but the normal lua hooks are underneath monotone, while such a script has to be on top of monotone, i.e. controlling it.

I'm not sure I understand your concept of 'lua commands', but to me this looks very much like duplicating shell aliasing logic. Additionally, I don't like the idea of giving users possibility to 'add commands', because that only creates chaos: user A talking about mtn au blame, user B unable to find anything about that command and user C having a slightly different implementation of it.

IMO you are trying to solve a problem (i.e. users not adopted to monotone) with the wrong solution (adding quirks to monotone). If those users absolutely don't want to learn about monotone, I see little chance for such an approach to succeed, because monotone will never be like CVS or svn. Making users discover that only after they screwed up is guaranteed to fail.

Regards

Markus