[Monotone-devel] Re: Request for help adding monotone output to cvs2svn

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Request for help adding monotone output to cvs2svn
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:02:49 +0100

Patrick Georgi <address@hidden> writes:

> Bruce Stephens schrieb:

[...]

>> For that matter, I guess it might be feasible to read git's
>> fast-import format instead (that would probably take a bit more
>> effort, but might be more useful).

> I started such an effort, but considered it not worth it, as
> fast-import reveals too many of the details in git's design that
> differ from monotone. I particularily had issues with the
> differences in branches, and it was seriously slowed down by keeping
> my own directory tree model (as git doesn't handle directories at
> all).

OK, that's not completely surprising.

> (it was hg2mtn in that case) instead of working around the differences
> to get a suitable mtn-fast-import.

Yeah, makes sense.  For handling CVS, provided you accept the basic
cvs2svn model (specifically that it's not incremental), writing a
backend to the trunk cvs2svn seems like a good way to go, IMHO.  CVS
is really surprisingly nasty, so it's useful to be able to rely on
other people to do that part.  (In particular, very few tools get cvs
import branches right (where "right" means doing whatever cvs does).
And cvs2svn seems to, though I've not tested any instances where there
are multiple vendor branches.)

[...]