Re: [Monotone-devel] Confusing text in NEWS

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Confusing text in NEWS
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:27:10 +0200

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> This paragraph of NEWS, which I believe you wrote, is written very
> confusingly.  I cannot figure out what has been added relative to
> 0.36. Did MTN_MERGE=diffutils exist in 0.36?

Yes, "diffutils" was already present in 0.36, too.

>         - the "MTN_MERGE=diffutils" merger (provided by std_hooks.lua)
>           was improved. It now accepts a MTN_MERGE_DIFFUTILS environment
>           variable which can be used to control its behaviour
>           through comma-separated "key[=value]" entries. Currently
>           supported entries are "partial" for doing a partial
>           batch/non-modal 3-way merge "resolution" which uses
>           embedded content conflict markers and "diff3opts=[...]" and
>           "sdiffopts=[...]" for passing arbitrary options to the used
>           "diff3" and "sdiff" tools. When used in combination with "mtn
>           merge_into_workspace" this way one especially can achieve a
>           CVS/SVN style non-modal workspace-based merging.
>
> Also, it's too detailed for NEWS and not nearly detailed enough for
> the manual.  Are the various merger modes documented in the manual?

No, the manual still doesn't talk about the merger modes AFAIK.

> What happens if you try to use this with 'mtn merge' or 'mtn propagate'?

The same as for "mtn merge_into_workspace": the merged content
(including possibly the conflict markers) are immediately committed to
the database (for later fixup).

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden
                                       www.engelschall.com