Re: [Monotone-devel] could we get away with requiring perl during the bu

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] could we get away with requiring perl during the build, for botan's sake?
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:49:35 -0400

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 12:30:49PM +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> >AFAICT botan doesn't provide
> >lots of optimized assembler code, yet. So that might not be much of an
> >issue, yet.
>
> Sorry, I revoke that statement. There are quite some CPU specific
> assembler optimizations in botan. Especially also for SHA-1, which could
> serve us very well.
>
> I'm currently trying to measure potential gains on my Core2Duo CPU with
> manually configured and added amd64 (ia64) optimizations.

TBH you won't see much performance increase from the x86-64 SHA-1 asm,
I saw it at perhaps 5% faster than GCC-compiled C++ on my Core2. RSA
will be 3-5x faster with the modules alg_amd64 (.S files, AT&T syntax,
assumes ELF ABI) and mp_amd64 (uses GCC-style inline asm with AT&T
syntax). I'm not sure about the 32-bit numbers.

-Jack