[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Monotone-devel] zlib vs gzip

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: [Monotone-devel] zlib vs gzip
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:28:34 +0200
User-agent: Mozilla-Thunderbird (X11/20071008)


Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
Aha.. yeah, that would explain the incompatibility between the two. Thanks for the hint.

Okay, in the meantime, I figured that gzip and zlib really are two different encapsulation formats (for the same type of compression algorithm, though). Matt's [1] mail explains that quite well.

Looks like zlib (> 1.2) supports both, but botan only supports zlib style headers and footers. We could (and probably should) use zlib only, instead of gzip, but that would cost a netsync flag day.

I'd still like it best, if we could get rid of gzip.cpp, to get closer to compatibility with the default botan distribution. Otherwise maintenance work will grow infinitely.

Well. As I've cold-heartedly deleted the gzip files Matt created from the n.v.m.botan branch, I fear I've killed history for those files.

I've now readded those files in the monotone main directory, because I'm under the impression that it's "our" code, which we have to maintain. Even if it's botan derived, I don't think that code belongs to the botan directory. And having it there will prevent similar mistakes like mine this morning. Sorry for the trouble.

For some reason the update to botan 1.7.2 caused a unit test to fail (transform_corruption_check). That was the main reason for me to look into that whole issue at all. Anyway, I've now fixed that in the newly added, so we are at botan 1.7.2, and at least on my box, all tests are fine.



[1]: Matt: comments on .sqlite3.binary branch

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]