Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: zlib vs gzip

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: zlib vs gzip
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:39:49 -0700

Markus Schiltknecht writes:
 > [ sundry performance numbers, gzip -1 is slower than disk ]

If you want fast compression, the best I know of is lzf
(http://www.goof.com/pcg/marc/liblzf.html); we clocked it compressing
at 90MB/s on a 2.4GhZ Opteron.  lzo is great for decompression --
almost 200MB/s and at the highest compression ratios, it can get
almost as much compression as gzip.  These numbers may be slightly low
because we were doing this in the context of a system that was also
doing checksumming on the data.  The data being compressed in our
experiments is different from mtn data as it was binary trace format
data, but the relative performance results are probably similar.
        -Eric