Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked

From: Juan Jose Comellas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:08:46 -0300

If you're going to work on improving Monotone's database layer it might be worth it to use a library that can provide a generic interface to multiple databases. There is one I've used successfully with Oracle (via OCI), PostgreSQL (via ODBC) and Informix (also via ODBC), that also supports SQLite. It's called OTL and you can download it from http://otl.sourceforge.net.

The abstraction it presents is very comfortable to use (something like iostreams for the database world) but the way the library is distributed (a huge header file with lots of templates in it) can be a put down.

On 12/27/07, Alvaro Herrera <address@hidden> wrote:
Zack Weinberg wrote:
> At this point I'm going to have to ask you to back up your claims with
> actual design, if not actual code.  Please look at the existing
> database layer in Monotone (database.cc , schema.sql) and the higher
> layers where most of the application-specific consistency constraints
> are currently enforced (revision.cc, cset.cc, roster.cc,
> roster_merge.cc).  Please tell us in detail how you would take
> advantage of SQL features that we are currently not using, to enable
> additional concurrency.  You can totally redesign the database tables
> if you want.  If at all possible, please distinguish between things
> that could be done with SQLite and things that would require either
> extending SQLite or switching to a new database implementation.

I'll have a look.

While fetching the source I noticed that
http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/SelfHostingInfo still mentions venge.net
as the Monotone server, but that host is not listening on the netsync port.
Changing it to monotone.ca works great.

--
Alvaro Herrera                               http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org/
One man's impedance mismatch is another man's layer of abstraction.