Re: [Monotone-devel] svn_sync / svn_import [Was: nvm.experiment.encapsul

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] svn_sync / svn_import [Was: nvm.experiment.encapsulation review]
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:30:58 +0100

Hi,

Lapo Luchini wrote:
IMHO it is still important... but OTOH we're kinda missing the "first wave of conversion" train, and SVN (thanks to its very-CVS-likeness, and the support by sourceforge and other similiar repositories, and the GUIs) is gettin' much attention from people that "just want to avoid a few CVS weaknesses" and doesn't really "feel the need" for distributed vcs (simply because they never tried it, I concur).

Those people probably wouldn't convert to mtn anyway.

So, while cvs_import/sync is very important, I think adding support for svn_import/sync is more and more important as time passes.

I absolutely agree to that.

May I point out, that subversion features some of the same weaknesses as CVS, namely that tags or branches can branch of from an inconsistent snapshot. Even worse: subversion advocates sell it as a feature to be able to "update" tags and such...

So, my point for mentioning it here: I'm tempted the use some of the same cvs_importer logic I've written for svn as well. Of course svn is cleaner than CVS (due to atomic commits), but if we can already handle the rest...

A couple of examples that are very dear to me:
- at my main workplace we use SVN, as it was already in large use when I arrived there and given the fact that we are only 3 people committing and we only work from the office (i.e. on the same LAN of the SVN server) I failed to find "reasons enough" for a switch - the "repository man" of FreeBSD is advocating for SVN (details here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/VCSWhy and, more importantly, he said he would actually *implement* it, not only propose it); the main idea being: CVS-SVN is the easiest choice right now, and the sooner we have changesets/renames/and-so-on the better we could upgrade to some *other* vcs in the future

Thanks for that pointer. I still hope to be able to import the FreeBSD repo soon (tm)... I'll let you know.

Regards

Markus