Re: [Monotone-devel] Kicking around ideas

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Kicking around ideas
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:51:06 -0500

William Uther <address@hidden> writes:

> On 22/01/2008, at 10:00 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> In my experience, executing "mv" in the filesystem but _not_ in mtn is
>> the typical workflow. Then automate inventory reminds you to do "mtn
>> mv".
>
> Interesting.  That is the opposite of my experience.  I just do "mtn mv"
> as a substitute for "mv" and expect monotone to keep up.  I would not
> want to have to do the two separately - that is just making more work
> for me that the computer could do.

Well, I use the Emacs DVC front end; it does the reminding and the mtn
operations for me. So the computer is still doing the work.

I think of "editing" and "CMing" as two distinct operations, and "mv"
is an editing operation.

If find that makes it easier for people new to CM tools; they already
know how to do "mv" (or more likely the equivalent GUI operation these
days :), and they expect the CM system to cope.

Hmm. It would be slightly simpler if Emacs would do "mtn mv" instead
of "mv" when I rename something in a dired buffer. Maybe I can teach
it to do that. I _don't_ want to teach Windows Explorer to do that!
Although I suppose that's what "tortoise mtn" would do?

--
-- Stephe