[Monotone-devel] Is the windows port active?

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Is the windows port active?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 05:58:41 +0000

On the last several years I have switched from windows to linux
programming, but today had to do some maintenance on a windows
application I wrote earlier, so decided to use monotone for the task
(besides I was using a proprietary VCS which I don't have the
installer anymore ;-).

Things don't seem to be going well. Lot of monotone errors because of
UTF-8 conversions that fail.

One is monotone complaining about file names which are not Unicode
(there was file name corruption because the original source code was
compressed with a non-Unicode zip application). I believe this to be a
bug on monotone, because it's not it's job to assume file names are
Unicode. It should behave like the linux and windows kernel, where
file names are treated like blob's (with a few restrictions).

And just now (the reason I decided to write this), because monotone
opened "Notepad" to let me enter the commit message and bugging out
because it couldn't convert my message to UTF-8 (the message was
written in plain Portuguese, nothing extraordinary). Oh, and it failed
to preserve the "bad" message in "_MTN/log"

I'm attaching the debug log, but it seems it's only about the first
case, where "mtn ls unknown" failed because of a corrupted,
non-unicode, file name. The second case didn't generate any debug log.

I don't intend to be too critic with this message, just wondering if
monotone is really active on windows or if I should just forget about
it. It still is a very good piece of software on linux, where I use it
everyday. On the other hand, I always thought one of the big
advantages of monotone over the other "monotone-like" VCS was the
multi-platform argument, which seems to not be true anymore.

Best regards, and keep up the good work,
~Nuno Lucas