Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone

From: Grahame Bowland
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:06:23 +0000

On 27/01/2008, at 10:34 PM, Peter Todd wrote:

FWIW I'm planning to seperate out the mtn automate code from ViewMTN and
create a nice python library to generalize mtn actions. For instance in
my website the source code page, http://petertodd.org/art/source-code/
should be generated by querying my mtn database. But without nice
libraries, that's not easy to do.

Hi Peter

mtn.py in the ViewMTN source should be relatively independent of the rest of ViewMTN; if it's not, I'd definitely take patches to make it so. I'm about to add support for automate options (a recent extension) to the module.

Hopefully it won't be necessary for you to fork this module out of ViewMTN to do what you're doing, just because it'd be a shame for ViewMTN to miss out on the patches you come up with!

Probably the biggest problem you'll come up with doing what you're planning is database locking. It's the thing people run into as a problem most often with ViewMTN. You'll want to make sure your webpage is running from a copy of the database that isn't locked at any point.

If you could let me know what rough edges you're hitting, it'd be appreciated, and I'll try and fix them! :-)

Grahame