Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone

From: jack-monotone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:30:24 -0800

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 05:04:33PM +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:

> Thomas Keller wrote:
> >So where lacks monotone the most?

> While this list of *lacking* features is very appreciated, I feel it's
> also important to point out where monotone is shining.

> What comes to my mind:

>  - very strong integrity checking
>  - compiled C++ code, not interpreted
>  - pretty thought-through and flexible certification concept (IMO)
>  - database backend (SQL compliance)
>  - dedicated multi-branch netsync protocol
>  - ease of extensibility by lua hooks

- ease of setting up a netsync server
- I can write bots to apply test-result certs, and use monotone-viz to look at
the status of the tree over time
- the database is a single file that can easily be shared with multiple
workspaces
- clean conceptual model: certs, attributes
- a tag doesn't create a new revision
- monotone will find bad drive controllers
- supports strong partitioning of projects (via merge_into_dir)
- simple to automate with

the list goes on. I've got ~1100 branches with ~100k revisions, ~780k of files,
with 20GiB of databases spread out over 2 clusters of 3 machines each.

--Jack

--
Jack (John) Cummings                           http://mudshark.org/
PGP fingerprint: F18B 13A3 6D06 D48A 598D  42EA 3D53 BDC8 7917 F802