[Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Boris
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:29:11 +0200

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 15:27:22 +0200, Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 12:30 +0200, Boris wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:30:28 +0200, Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]Because this is a distributed VCS, we can't, ultimately, prevent
> people from doing whatever they want to their own copy of the

It might be possible if policy settings and the list of administrators are
stored in the database. Even if you have a copy of the database the
database knows who the admininistrators are and will prevent others from
changing the policy settings.

No, it's not possible. The closest you can get would be to compile in
your own get_projects or get_revision_cert_trust hook that looks at some
network share or compiled-in data that you don't tell people about, but
even then they'd just have to download a non-patched monotone and maybe
come up with their own project definition files.

You are talking about the policy branches as they will be implemented for monotone? I was talking about distributed VCS in general, and with private/public keys I don't see why it should be utterly impossible to support centralized permission settings in a distributed VCS (they would need to be encrypted with the adminstrator's private key, and the public key of the administrator would need to be embedded into the database).

Boris