Re: [Monotone-devel] couple of things

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] couple of things
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:06:08 +1100

    Zack> 1a) The configure script now will not let you use a system-provided
    Zack> libpcre if it's a different version than the bundled one.  The
    Zack> rationale for this is that we want each version of monotone to have a
    Zack> predictable regex syntax, and to do that, we have to nail down the
    Zack> pcre version.  I will hear counterarguments, though.  (Or, send Philip
    Zack> Hazel patches to improve his API so this ceases to be a problem.)

What do you mean by "different version"?

Do you mean different version number?

Or do you mean different soname?

Currently Debian/stable has libpcre3, this can be installed (I think)
at the same time as libpcre2 and libpcre1.

Note though only one development package can be installed at the same
time.

So if you check that the soname is the same, this shouldn't be a
problem (although redundant, as the build depends on libpcre3-dev will
do the same thing).

If however, you check for the exact same version, this is likely to
get complicated very quickly. etch has 6.7+7.4-2 and 6.7-1 (m68k),
lenny has 7.4-1, and unstable has 7.6-1 and 7.4-1, of libpcre3-dev.

Add tests to test for compatibility might be a better option.
--
Brian May <address@hidden>