Re: [Monotone-devel] restrictions: disabling recursion

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] restrictions: disabling recursion
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:26:23 -0500

2008/2/19 Zbigniew Zagórski <address@hidden>:
>  while fighting with my first lua test (for automate
>  get_current_revision) I've found that restrictions are rather
>  surprising when using --depth=0 command. Reference says that
>
>  "... For example, n=0 disables recursion ..."
>
>  and i think that it's not absolutely true.

You've run afoul of this, I think:

  // FIXME: this uses depth+1 because the old semantics of depth=0 were
  // something like "the current directory and its immediate children". it
  // seems somewhat more reasonable here to use depth=0 to mean "exactly
  // this directory" and depth=1 to mean "this directory and its immediate
  // children"

The "old" behavior has been preserved in the name of backward
compatibility.  I'd have no objection to calling a flag day and
introducing the more sensible semantics you suggest (which are the
same as the ones suggested in the restrictions.cc comments).  What do
other people think?

zw