Re: [Monotone-devel] Sync Issue

From: Marcin W. Dąbrowski
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Sync Issue
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:59:58 +0100

Hi.

I've noticed the following change via CIA:

http://viewmtn.angrygoats.net/all/revision/info/247bd4f73f994e0cebe3150d5a8322e26a6c6876

I'm using 'file:' on Win32, and it works just right for me. The
fact that it is to be disabled in next release worried me a bit.

> If that is what you are using, switch to Cygwin monotone,
> if only for those sync operations. That's what I use, and
> it works reliably.

Why one should use two binaries of one app which should work the
same on every platform?

> We should document the broken Win32 operations in the manual,
> and possibly disable them in the code.

Documenting wrong behavious and describing possible workarounds
is good. Fixing the bug is even better. But disabling the feature
in the code is just like breaking the functionality - and this is
bad thing...

For example, recently I'm doing some cleanups in our repositories,
and have to go thru the following steps:

    mtn db init -d project.db
    mtn setup . -b project/edge -d project.db
    mtn pull file:project-branch1.db project-devel-branch1
    mtn pull file:adam-project.db address@hidden/project
    mtn pull file:docs.db docs-xml-project
    mtn add -R dev dm doc
    mtn ci -m "Workspace merge - CM step 1."
    mtn merge_into_dir project-devel-branch1 project/edge branch-1
    mtn merge_into_dir address@hidden/project project/edge src
    mtn merge_into_dir docs-xml-project project/edge docsrc
    mtn up

Is there any other way to sync two separate databases on Win32
without the need for '-serve'?

What's the problem with 'file:' and how can I help to fix it, and
bring it back to Win32?

Best regards,
--
`-:[ Marcin `DomBal' Dąbrowski ][ Visit us: http://twine.pl/ ]:-.