Re: [Monotone-devel] url schemes

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] url schemes
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:20:36 +0100

Hi,

Timothy Brownawell wrote:
push/pull/sync are not GET/PUT/DELETE operations, they need a lot of
negotiation to find out what to send. They cannot be directly supported
by dumb servers, you need a smart client with the necessary logic to
break them down into simpler parts.

I fully agree. And for nuskool, those simpler parts are http GET requests.

Simple URLs to specify what to sync against are very convenient, but why
should they be force-fit into a scheme which is not designed for that
sort of interactive operation?

To ensure that the URL scheme survives long enough to be of relevance. To me, it just doesn't make sense to have the following URLs in parallel:

 * mtn://monotone.ca?net.venge.monotone
 * http://monotone.ca/branch/net.venge.monotone

I think that just leads to unnecessary confusion for no good reason.

With the upcoming nuskool, I think we are going to introduce http URLs. And I'm strongly voting for making nuskool work with dumb servers as well - there's not much extra work to be done for that, IMO.

Additionally, the URLs should integrate nicely with a web frontend, so that users get something useful when entering the URL into their browser.

Both points have already been requested as a feature for monotone, IIRC. And both things are partly covered by other VCSen already, monotone is catching up at best.

Regards

Markus