Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn:// sync

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn:// sync
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:01:56 -0600

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
Hi,

Thomas Moschny wrote:
Ok. I vaguely had in mind that there also was a non-technical reason.

I don't know any non-technical reason.

I believe it's a consequence of the invariant enforced by the database that no revision will be stored unless it's parents are also stored. This ultimately requires that all ancestry for a revision is in the local database before the revision can be stored.

Exactly, but that's why I said it looks like an ugly hack. It fixes the problem accidentally, ...

(For the common case of syncing "net.venge.monotone", that is).

... and for a common usage pattern, but not fundamentally.

The well known 80% solution. :-)

No, seriously, what's the problem you want to solve fundamentally? Are you saying you never want to download revision without it's certs?

Personally, I don't think that I want to receive a revision if I don't also get the certs. "Mystery meat" is how I would describe the situation where I get a rev but not its certs. i.e. I have no idea who committed the rev, when they committed it, what they had to say about it, etc.

Cheers,
Derek