[Monotone-devel] Monotone upgrade policy for the SQLite copy?

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Monotone upgrade policy for the SQLite copy?
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:35:31 +0100

While looking at compile-time warnings of Monotone, I've just stumpled
over the fact that we are still using SQLite 3.4.2 in Monotone while at
sqlite.org we already have SQLite 3.5.7 released recently. My simple
question is: what is the "official" Monotone upgrade policy with respect
to the embedded copy of SQLite? Who takes care of the SQLite upgrades
for Monotone?

If there is still no such policy I personally recommend a policy like
this (and saved for reference into e.g. "sqlite/README.MTN"): "Monotone
should can be upgraded to the latest version of SQLite as long as (1)
this SQLite version it is fully backward compatible to the old on disk
format (= is able to read it) and at maximum a dump/restore of the
database is necessary, (2) it's API is backward compatible or Monotone's
use of the SQLite API is at least simultaneous adjusted during the
upgrade; (3) Monotone after the upgrade still passes its test suite and
(4) in case of a required non-automated upgrade step hints about this
are added to file UPGRADING".

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden
                                       www.engelschall.com