Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: url schemes

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: url schemes
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:34:36 +0100

Hi,

Koen Kooi wrote:
Since it's read-only, is it possible to cache the state and allow
multiple connections?

Hm.. if it uses mtn automate behind the scenes, as I did in my experiments, I fear that makes not much difference. (Except nuskool being faster than netsync anyway.)

At OpenEmbedded we have at any given moment >10
simultanous connections to mtn serve, which each take a few seconds to
'initialize'[1] (incrementing rev and cert counters) and seem to block
other transfers ("Why do I have to wait 3 hours before I an allowed to
push a rev?!?" as one developer put it).

Maybe http caching could help here? By reducing locking contention to the database, only requests which really need to write the database need to block each other.

This is another good reason to keep the URL scheme simple. If you stuff too much information into a single request, caching it gets harder or useless.

Regards

Markus