Re: [Botan-devel] [Monotone-devel] library build

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Botan-devel] [Monotone-devel] library build
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:48:16 +0200

Hi,

Zbigniew Zagórski wrote:
> BTW, 1.7.15 has minor change of API that makes some things ugly in
> monotone if we want to use system provided libraries.

AFAIU the 1.7.x branch of botan is a development branch so we have to
deal with API changes in monotone.

> In lookup.h there are few get_cipher functions than in 1.7.14 and
> earlier versions where independent of Library_State and in 1.7.15 they
> require LibraryState& as first parameter. ***

I'm not sure which branch of monotone you are talking about. For
nvm.stripped, which I've started yesterday, that's already solved.
Testing with the most recent botan revision (as of yesterday) worked
just fine - and worked down to 1.7.8, as mentioned on the mailing list.

For monotone head this is not an issue since that's at botan 1.7.12
(since I've propagated from nvm.botan yesterday).

AFAIK nvm.library-build hasn't been upgraded to 1.7.12, yet.

> It's not big deal for monotone to change to this new interface but
> _if_ we want use bundled system libraries that for some reason may be
> older than 1.7.15 we would need some #ifdefs and wrappers in monotone
> code.

See nvm.stripped... that's already done there.

> I don't question your design decisions but LibraryState& is currently
> a singleton obtained via (AFAIR) Botan::get_default() so i don't see
> any reason for removing Botan::get_cipher overloads without
> LibraryState& (correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Old overloads can be marked as deprecated but it is wise to leave them
> for a while because current code base uses them.

That does not really apply for development branches, where the API is
known to change.

Regards

Markus Wanner