[Monotone-devel] Re: Questions about Monotone

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Questions about Monotone
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 11:42:02 +0100

Daniel Carrera <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> My current solution is Darcs, which indeed makes the above easy. When
> I run "darcs record", darcs shows me the changes one at a time, and I
> can tell it which ones to include in the patch. Another equally good
> solution is: (1) record the current changes for Feature_A, (2) work on
> Issue_B, (3) record the changes for Issue_B, (4) UN-DO step (1), and
> continue working on Feature_A. This latter option is actually more
> useful.
>
> Anyways, does Monotone offer either solution to my problem? Or perhaps
> it offers a third solution that I have not thought of yet?

monotone doesn't have anything built in for that.  Nor does it have
the darcs idea of amend-record (one can use db kill-revision-locally
and lots of messing about, but monotone doesn't make the operation
easy).

You could use something like qct.  (Obviously you could do what qct's
doing by hand, but that would be annoying enough that you wouldn't
bother.)

Or (of course) work on adding the feature (or something equivalent) to
monotone.  Maybe the same kind of interactive dialog, or maybe
amend-record/unrecord (to enhance the possibilities of qct-like
tools).