Re: [Monotone-devel] Questions about Monotone

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Questions about Monotone
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 14:08:18 +0200

Hi,

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Yes, thats right. Often the changes are in the same file. It's a
> smallish program. Most of the functionality is in two files: a core
> program and a library, and then I have a bunch of front-end type files
> (PHP templates). So making a change often involves changing something in
> the core file.

Yeah, monotone lacks the functionality to choose from single changes
within a file.

> Do I need to make a separate directory to make a branch? I'll read the
> documentation on branches and I'll probably have a question then.

No, branches are independent from directories. However, directories are
also tracked within branches. I.e. you can rename and move them and
merging takes care (as long as your renames don't conflict, which is a
much longer story).

> Yes. This program is severely lacking in modularity. It was quite horrid
> when I first got it. The whole program was one single 1200-line if
> statement!

Yeah, I know such things as well... :-(

> I've spent the last few years cleaning up the program. Moving code out
> of the if-statement-from-hell and putting the code into functions
> (*functions*!).

LOL!

> So anyways, I agree that modularity is where I want the program to be in
> the future. But truthfully it will be a long time before it gets there.
> You can also see why I am working on two things at once. "Feature_A"
> usually is refactoring the code to make it modular, clean and correct.

Understood.

Regards

Markus Wanner