Re: [Monotone-devel] WARNING: ~/.monotone/keys CONSIDERED HARMFUL

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] WARNING: ~/.monotone/keys CONSIDERED HARMFUL
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:05:58 +0200

Robert White wrote:
Claiming it as a security action is a red herring. The key files are
encrypted anyway and physical access to the database is just as
likely-or-unlikely as physical access to the keydir.

Other security products consider it very bad practice to distribute private keys, even when encrypted. For example, encrypted private keys in an attacker's hard disk are easily susceptible to dictionary attacks.

I think that Ethan's idea has a lot of merit. Btw, PGP allows a user to have multiple keys associated with the same name and email. To help the user distinguish between keys. If you list them, they look like this:

Daniel Carrera (Personal) <address@hidden>
Daniel Carrera (Foo Corp) <address@hidden>
Daniel Carrera (Bar Inc) <address@hidden>
etc

Perhaps something similar would be suitable for Monotone.

I also have an idea to help Monotone migrate from its current system to a PGP-like system: Internally Monotone would have to use the key fingerprint, there's no getting around that. But when the user has to submit a key id, allow the user to provide an email or first name instead, as long as it is unambiguous. That's what GnuPG does. I can just say "Daniel" on the command line because I only have one key that matches that string.

At the least we should have, on a database-instance by database-instance,
the choice of whether we want this common pollution area known a keydir.

I note that GnuPG puts keys in a common directory, and in fact, a common file. If Monotone switched to using the key fingerprint as the file name, that would avoid collisions. So I do not think that keydir is the problem. I also believe that storing the private key in the DB would have bad consequences (security and collisions).

Daniel.