Re: [Monotone-devel] date certs on net.venge.monotone

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] date certs on net.venge.monotone
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:35:50 -0700

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Markus Wanner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thomas Moschny wrote:
>> So, I don't think we should warn there.
>
> Even make hints about clock skews. Why is that so unwanted for monotone?

Make warns about clock skew (between your local host and its NFS
server) because such clock skew breaks Make.

Right now, clock skew (between all the hosts used by everyone in a
distributed development project) does not break monotone; it continues
to provide its basic functionality of managing revisions just fine.
Your proposal would compromise this core functionality (either by
causing revisions to disappear, or just printing annoying warning
messages), so as to better provide the functionality of letting people
know that someone else's clock that they can't fix is broken.  I
understand the impulse, but I don't see how this is the right place
for it -- if I really want to know about clock skew, there are better
ways to find out, and if don't have access to those better ways, I can
just run that script you wrote over my monotone history anyway.