Re: [Monotone-devel] 3rd party libraries

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 3rd party libraries
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:50:28 +0200

Hi,

Zack Weinberg wrote:
> In this message I just want to address the boost situation.

Thank you very much, that was what I've been looking for: a compilation
of reasons for having dropped boost. Makes sense to me. (And justifies
that my re-implementation of parts of boost::date_time in our dates.cc
wasn't just a waste of time).

> .. the random number generator...

Uh.. do we use a RNG from boost as well? We certainly use one from
botan. I'll look into that... some day....

> Also, I've read the boost::asio docs and I actually think that would
> be a good thing to be using.  The abstractions look sane, the author
> appears to understand what you need to do to get a stable C++ ABI, and
> it would certainly be an improvement over the unmaintained 'netxx'
> thing we have now.  But I'd much rather we used it in its standalone
> "libasio" incarnation, that doesn't pull in any other boost modules.

Cool, thanks for this opinion.

Regards

Markus Wanner