Re: [Monotone-devel] Current status of cvssync?

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Current status of cvssync?
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:52:24 -0400

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:29:21PM +0200, Christof Petig wrote:

> address@hidden schrieb:
> >
> > Among the three branches I found, namely,
> >
> > net.venge.monotone.cvssync, 829 days old
> > net.venge.monotone.cvssync.attrs, 681 days old, and
> > net.venge.monotone.cvssync.refactor, 48 days old,
> >
> > which is the one most likely to work?
>
> As long as it compiles (I remember some loose ends at my side when I did
> the last propagate) refactor is the best guess.

I'll check it out.  Pun intended.

. I have some open issues:
> - - there seems to be an issue with merges in some of my tree
> synchronizations (longstanding problem)
> - - $Id$ expansions are not handled as well as they should - I have ideas
> to fix this but lacked development time.
>
> But AFAIK all tests pass - and you can combine the mtn_cvs binary from
> the cvssync.refactor branch with the newest mtn binary - mtn_cvs is just
> a wrapper to sync mtn with cvs (via mtn automate stdio and remote cvs
> protocol).
>
> Feel free to do some tests - I can not promise to fix issues - but I am
> willing to do so (especially you provide test cases).

I'll be using it on the Modula 3 cm3 CVS repository, which is about
1.18 gigabytes according to du.

The hope is that the cm3 developers will switch over to monotone from
CVS, and have an easier life thereafter.  But we'll need social
acceptance as well as technical excellence.  I have no doubt that
monotone will deliver technical excellence.  But a period of
interopability may make social acceptance easier.

> > Or is the 48-day one the best because it's still being maintained
> > somewhat and using it would help identify problems?
> >
> > Is there any documentation for cvssync?
>
> I remember extending monotone.texi for documentation, but it no longer
> contains mtn_cvs changes? Actually mtn_cvs --help should give you a good
> first idea.
>
> > Is there any relation between cvssync and the mtn cvs pull that's
> > documented in the mainline version?
>
> ... Maybe this _is_ the documentation for cvssync ;-)

I doubt it.  The docs seem pretty clear that it's a one-way conversion.
Don't tell me cvssync is only one-way?

-- hendrik