Re: [Monotone-devel] usher 0.99 release (name-based virtual hosting for

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] usher 0.99 release (name-based virtual hosting for monotone)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 15:05:33 -0500

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 02:04:46PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I guess now comes the inevitable flood of stupid questions as i try to
> make sense of the documentation.

Well, I have usher running, and depending on how I write the
configuration file it reports I have one or two servers, called "write",
the one I want to start with, and "local", the one inherited form the
example in the documentation.

But when I try to sync with "write" from another computer, I geet
problems:

address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$ mtn sync 4691://topoi.pooq.com/write
enter passphrase for key ID address@hidden (ad968be7...):
mtn: connecting to 4691://topoi.pooq.com/write
mtn: Received warning from usher: Cannot fork server.
mtn: peer 4691://topoi.pooq.com/write IO terminated connection in working state
(error)
mtn: error: I/O failure while talking to peer 4691://topoi.pooq.com/write,
disconnecting
address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$

Presumably something is still wrong with my configuration.
It looks as if usher does recieve the connection, identifies the
correct server ("write") in the script below, and fails to fork to start the
server.

Hers's the configuration file (password replaced):

userpass        "hendrik" "notthepasswordd"
monotone        "/usr/local/bin/mtn" "-k" "address@hidden"
listenaddr      "0.0.0.0:4691"
adminaddr       "127.0.0.1:12345"
logdir          "/farhome/hendrik/monotone/usher-log/"

server          "write"
host            "0.0.0.0"
pattern         "com.pooq.hendrik.write*"
local           "-d" "/farhome/hendrik/monotone/write.db"

server          "local"
host            "127.0.0.1"
pattern         "*"
local           "-d" "/usr/local/src/managed/my.db"

Now when I try to execute the command suggested by the monotone line,

/usr/local/bin/mtn -k address@hidden

the shell starts monotone OK, although of course monotone immediately
complains at length that it's an invalid commant.  But from the shell, the
"fork" succeeds.

Can I get usher to tell me what the command it uses really is,
so I can try it in isolation?  Or does it misreport a successful fork
with an invalid monotone command as a failed fork?  Or ... (fill in
the real explanation here, please?)

By the way, looking at the computer where usher is running, for each
attempt to sync it gives me three requests to enter the passphrase
for address@hidden  But entering the passphrase there doesn't
seem to have any effect.

By the way, the monotone running on the usher machine is 0.99.1;
the version on the client machine is 0.48 -- the one distributed

recently in testing as 0.48.3

-- hendrik