[Monotone-devel] transifex and initial comments in the message catalogue

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] transifex and initial comments in the message catalogue
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 00:10:04 +0100

Hi!

When I tried to download a pushed po file from transifex (using either
their command line client or the web interface) yesterday, I noticed
that the initial comments of the message catalogue were lost and
replaced by the default information from the source file.

This seems to be a known problem apparently
(<http://trac.transifex.org/ticket/675>) and is problematic for many
reasons, one of the most important ones is lost copyright information.

The linked ticket above states a few workarounds, which are all not very
pleasing, but if we want to continue using transifex as easy accessible
translation platform, then we probably _have_ to workaround.

My proposal now is two-fold:

1) Add a README file for every translation (i.e.
po/README.de) and let the author add the copyright(s) and
optional translation hints

2) Place a proper comment into the uploaded po/monotone.pot with a
general copyright text and the hint that the file is copyrighted to the
entities and under the terms written down in po/README.<lang>

I'll need to add Makefile changes to make the header of the created
monotone.pot look like something which serves the aforementioned purpose.

If all this isn't ok with you, simply drop me an email.

Many thanks and sorry for the inconvenience,
Thomas.