Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.lua-5.2 failing on mingw

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.lua-5.2 failing on mingw
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 09:15:04 +0100

Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:

> In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 07 May 2012 12:36:10 +0100, Stephen Leake
> <address@hidden> said:
>
> stephen_leake> Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> > Completely reinstalling mingw, using an older installer that
> has g++
> stephen_leake> > 4.5.2, fixed this particular problem (running 'make check'
> now).
> stephen_leake> >
> stephen_leake> > So apparently g++ 4.6.2 has problems with exceptions on
> Mingw. Cygwin is
> stephen_leake> > still at 4.5.3; I don't think Debian is at 4.6 yet. So
> perhaps this is
> stephen_leake> > not surprising.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> 'make check' now completed.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> tester and unit tests all pass.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> func tests had one failure; netsync_key_hooks didn't get the
> expected
> stephen_leake> return value from the server when sent SIGTERM. I think this
> is a known
> stephen_leake> bug in MinGW, so we should skip that test.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> All of the extra tests failed, as on the previous release. The
> failure
> stephen_leake> is 'attempt to call global 'mtn_setup' (a nil value)', so
> there's
> stephen_leake> something fundamental wrong in extra test driver.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> In sum; as far as Cygwin and MinGW are concerned, nvm.lua-5.2
> can be
> stephen_leake> merged to main.
>
> Wait, you're saying all of "extra" is failing?  I definitely don't get
> that on my (Linux) box...

Right, this failure is specific to MinGW; it has been there since extra
was introduced.

> I'm also a bit surprised that we consider failures with the "extra"
> part ok.

The failure appears to be in the test suite itself; it is not invoking
mtn properly. No one has had the time to investigate.

I don't use any of the tools tested in extra (on any platform), and
apparently no one has complained that they don't work on MinGW (either
no one else uses them, or they do work).

> Other than that, I agree that nvm.lua-5.2 should be merged into nvm.

The test failure occurs on nvm as well, so no need to hold the merge on
that account.

--
-- Stephe