Re: [Monotone-devel] [Monotone-users] CAD versioning

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [Monotone-users] CAD versioning
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:41:39 -0600

Hendrik Boom <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:44:51AM -0600, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> Roberto Bartola <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > I'm looking for a versionig software which could be used in (M)CAD
>> > projects.
>> > I such projects we can find many parts assembled in assemblies and
>> > sub/assemblies.
>> > I'd like to understand if is it possible to checkin/checkout and put in a
>> > lock way the assemblies with its component.
>>
>> It is certainly possible to commit the files to monotone; it can handle
>> any files.
>
> Monotone can certainly store any files; but can it merge changes to
> those files?

If not, you can specify an external merge tools. Or use a front-end that
supports other merge tools.

If there isn't a merge tool for your file format, then that's a problem.

The typical solution to not being able to merge files is to forbid
parallel editing. The OP did mention "locking", which is one technique
to enforce a "no parallel editing" policy.

monotone does _not_ support locking. locking requires a central
repository, at least for the locks; monotone is specifically designed to
_not_ require a central repository.

Other CM systems, that are _not_ distributed, do support locking.

--
-- Stephe