Re: Is monotone dead, or is there a path forward?

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: Is monotone dead, or is there a path forward?
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 10:26:33 -0400

On Sun, Jun 06, 2021 at 02:18:12PM +0100, CooSoft Support wrote:
> In my experience the merging in mtn presents the developer with far fewer
> conflicts to resolve. Plus you can merge multiple branches in one go by
> `baptising' those dev branches into the target developer/integration branch.

How do you do this?

> So it doesn't stand out at first, you just notice after a while that you
> have a lot less work than you'd expect with other SCMs.
>
> As for git. Well one of the reasons that mtn is very good at merging, apart
> from any algorithm that is used to do it, is that it relies on the fact that
> you have a complete history and that any branch being merged must have
> branched off at some point from the branch that it is being merged back
> into. Otherwise you have to do a manual merge. Git doesn't place that `same
> origin branch' restriction on you.

There are occasional times I'd like that 'same origin branch' lifted.
Mostly when I discover ancient pre-monotone source code in some archive
and would like to integrate it in to monotone's history.

> Others on this mailing list may have a more in depth answer for you though.
> These are just my observations.

I seem to remember reading about restrictions in git on having to merge
only only between very recently forked branches, and having to do
rebasing to get around this.  I no longer remember the details.

> On 06/06/2021 13:49, Hugo Cornelis wrote:
> >
> > I have used monotone for a few years and was fine with it.
> >
> > I used to hear a lot and still hear now and then that the approach to
> > merging in monotone is / was superior to the approach taken in git.  It
> > is something I have never understood.  My experience with merges in
> > monotone is actually quite limited (compared to experience with merges
> > with git).
> >
> > How do they compare wrt merges?  What is so fundamentally different
> > between them?  And why makes this difference such a profound impact to
> > the developer experience?
> >
> > Just wondering.
> >
> > Would it be possible to integrate monotone-like merges into git?

Would it be possible to integrate git repositories into monotone
repositories?  At the moment, traffic between monotone and git is
one-way.

-- hendrik