nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] definition of filestruct with ENABLE_MULTIBUFFER

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] definition of filestruct with ENABLE_MULTIBUFFER
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 06:30:00 -0800 (PST)

--- David Benbennick <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

>Also, in nano.h, the filestruct type is being used for two different
>things when it shouldn't be.  That is, each row of each file is a
>filestruct containing data, a lineno, and prev and next pointers.  BUT, if
>ENABLE_MULTIBUFFER is on, each row also has 7 file-list variables.
>
>The result is that the structure goes from 16 to 44 bytes (on my
>system) when ENABLE_MULTIBUFFER is turned on.
>
>There should be two different structures: one for lines in each file, and
>one for the list of files.  Shall I submit a patch with that change?

I'd certainly be interested in that; I should have done
the same a long time ago.

ENABLE_MULTIBUFFER and NANO_SMALL should be allowed at the
same time, the only problem with doing so is the lack of
toggles in NANO_SMALL; if one wants to insert a file into a
separate buffer one moment and the current buffer the next,
there's no way for one to do that in NANO_SMALL, since the
Meta-F toggle is disabled.

By the way, I know that I haven't yet gotten around to
fixing the null problem (not displaying NULLs in the file as
^@'s); I've been rather busy lately.  However, I'll get to
it eventually.  (I've been thinking of simpler ways to do it
than writing wrapper functions for all string operations on
the data variable in the filestruct; e. g. convert all NULLs
in the string that don't mark the end of the string to
literal "\0" strings, convert all other backslashes
[including user-input ones] to literal "\\" strings so as to
make the process reversible, and have nano store lines in
that format internally, converting them and possibly certain
input strings [such as search strings] back and forth at
need.)

One last question, as long as I'm here: would it be possible
to list Ctrl/Meta-Space in the list of shortcuts on the help
screen?  I can take a stab at it, but I'm planning on doing
the null problem fix first (as soon as I have the time to get
to it).

Run a small business? Then you need professional email like address@hidden from
Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net?tag